Sunday, July 4, 2010

Ain't that America, Home of the Free

Happy 4th of July everyone. I hope y'all had a great day. I've had a good weekend. Saturday, I went to cookout number 1. I made my famous sausage rolls (aka "chicken nuggets" haha), met new people, got too see some adorable kids play. I walked there and back, ensuring my exercise for the day (ok, for the weekend). Sunday, I went to church. Then I was gonna come home, bum around for a few, then head to the church picnic. However on my way home, I got stuck behind a wreck so no time to bum (I hope everyone was ok). But I made it to the picnic in plenty of time, my red velvet cake was a huge hit (wooHoo famous!! Thanks Aunt Sara for the recipe in the Gilgal cookbook!) even if the layers did come out a bit cattywampus (yes, in the south that's a word). I thought it was a tad dry, but everyone loved it. Yes, I'm awesome. I'm humble too, and I don't mind telling people just how humble I am!

But I also got to hang around and chat with my fellow church members. I was glad to get to say more than a few hellos that I normally get to say between the end Amen and the time everyone gets to their cars. I got to make them laugh, just talk, tell them what I do for a living, etc. Those that don't follow me on Facebook got to see my sense of humor (although Wendy, and logically following that, Jeff as well, said she already knows my sense of humor and appreciates it from being my FB friend SHOUT OUT TO VALLEY!). It's good getting to know people. Special thanks to Ed & Joy Herbold for opening their home to everyone. PS - Get well soon Janet!

In a Sunday & church related rant (not my current church though), church business meetings are just plain ridiculous sometimes. I know there are rules which need to be followed. But the rules are there to move things along in an orderly fashion. They are not to be used to try to lord power over people (for lack of a better term) or push your own agenda, or to try to keep your fingers in everyone's pie. When I was told of actions today, I asked the person who told me the info if someone stood up and said to the offender "Why are you being such a butt? Just because you can be?" Seriously people, you aren't enacting laws or running a country here. Just let things run with logic & common sense. If you can't do that, sit down and be quiet.

OK, that was fun! Another thing that will be alternately fun and a headache is the New Freedom Carnival. It's a fair with rides & food & stuff and it's at the park. The park happens to be right across the street from my apartment. I'm glad it's so close, but I have a feeling this week will not be full of peace & quiet. haha. Um, anyone care to house me for a week? LOL. I'm glad I'm a night owl, but the fireworks Friday night will be at midnight. Plus, parking could be a hassle. Well, it's just a week, right? It's rare that Mayberry Hollow (this town is part Mayberry from Andy Griffith and part Star's Hollow from Gilmore Girls) has this much loudness & activity so I should be able to deal.

Finally, I'm actually thankful for Facebook. It's bizarre to me that so many folks tell me they read what I write. I write all this for my own amusement. If others are entertained, that's just a bonus. But because of FB, family back home can keep up with me, I talk more with folks I went to school with than I did when I was in school, I can stay in touch with former co-workers, I can play Family Feud, and I can reconnect with folks I haven't seen in a long time. Heck, some I now talk with a lot. Haven't seen them in years, but now we talk like time didn't pass. I am even able to give advice remotely. Hopefully it's good advice. If it's not, well, at least I'm not charging you anything for it. hahaha

OK, gonna finish watching Jaws (perfect July 4th movie huh?) and eat some KFC. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Hopefully you are off on Monday as well. If you aren't, well, I am, and isn't that what really matters?

No comments:

Post a Comment