Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Just be yourself. It doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else!

Forgive me readers for I have transgressed. It's been 17 days since my last update. In that time I've worked with an office that was displaced due to a flood, celebrated Mother's Day and Daddy's birthday alone, conversed with Michael Lohan (at least he claims to be him, but it could very well be him), avoided the gym due to sinuses and leg pain and lack of motivation, finally watched Sherlock Holmes, tried to see the new Nightmare on Elm Street with my free movie pass I earned only to be told they had to cancel the showing so instead I got 2 movie passes (no restrictions so I'm guessing new releases are fair game), suffered through the most boring season of Idol in quite some time (still I say CRYSTAL BOWERSOX FOR THE WIN!!!)Just, started watching the horrendous debacle known as Real Housewives of NYC (do NOT judge me! I am putting the blame squarely on Merideth Thaxton for getting me hooked), caught up with some old friends on Facebook and gone to work, church, and my apartment. Yeah, quite an eventful 2 1/2 weeks. Who says you can't have fun alone in Mayberry!

I was very happy today that no professed automotive Christians showed road rage towards me. What would Jesus do, NOT TAILGATE! Seriously, are you in that big of a hurry? If so, LEAVE EARLIER! I was going the speed I was because I had a car in front of me and an 18 wheeler next to me. I'll move when I can get over you selfish road hogging nimrod!

People still amaze me. Never underestimate the power to overestimate people. People either don't know what they are doing, think they know how to do everything, tell you something is wrong: call AND email, tell someone else, who tells someone else, to tell you to make sure you really know. Seriously? What, the skywriter wasn't available? Just tell people once, that's all that's needed.

I'm also amazed at how one tragedy bring legitimacy to a celebrity. In April, Bret Michaels was still a joke. An enjoyably entertaining joke, but a joke no doubt. He was in a fun cheesy 80s hair band, dated Pam Anderson, starred in a "dating reality" show which no doubt cause prescriptions of penicillin to increase exponentially, had a set piece drop on his head at the Tony Awards (Bret Michaels on the Tony awards is odd enough), went on Celebrity Apprentice. Pretty much this is the celebrity irrelevance tour. But, one near death experience with a brain hemorrhage and now he's on Oprah. Only in America!

Now, politics. Usually, I stay away from talking about politics because I have found very few people who can have a political discussion without it turning into a personal attack on the other person. To me, that is a sign of immaturity. If you think I'm wrong, that's your right. But it's my blog and I'll say what I want and I'm about to upset people. Extremism in politics is going to divide this country far too much. I'm not sure if talk radio/news commentary shows are the culprit or not. I do know it's seemed to make everyone an expert on what's wrong with the other side. And let me tell you, each side has come up with some winners. Hateful people, bullies, people with awful phone calls broadcast all over the media, WE'RE DOING IT LIVE!, former 2nd rate stand up comedians, and an ESPN anchor. Yes, when I'm trying to learn about the intricacies of a Senate bill, or our relations with a combative nation, I want to know what the former host of Inside Edition or a guy who used to make smart aleck remarks about sports bloopers has to say. Yes, that's my first thought!

But these programs and these hosts promote extremism. They've even led to political movement bent on removing people from office who aren't extreme enough. Some Democrats and Republicans were victims of movements to get rid of them because they voted for the health care bill. The Dems are out because it wasn't liberal enough. The Republicans are out because it was too liberal. Those people who dared reach across the aisle to try to get some work done are being voted out. I guess it's true that no good deed goes unpunished. I'm not a Democratic, I'm not a Republican. I've voted for both in the past and will vote for both in the future. I'm not a liberal, I'm not a conservative. The title of the blog (a song lyric of course) give a good hint :-) I'm a moderate independent and dang proud of it. But I think people are being ridiculed and ostracized for being so. Why is that? Why is it wrong to see the good & right in both sides? Why is it wrong to want to see the government try to help those who can't, yet still have some social & fiscal conservatism. Why does MSNBC make it seem like the Tea Party group are a bunch of kooky fascists who are racist and can't spell and are mesmerized by Sarah Palin (although, truth be told, I don't understand her appeal either. During the VP debate, she came across to me as someone who'd be overwhelmed in a debate for VP of the Hannah Montana fan club). Why does Fox News make it seem like liberals are evil atheistic egoists who are out to bankrupt the country and replace the stars & bars with the hammer & sickle? (although Harry Reid does sorta give me the creeps). I also love it when each side acts like they are the only one truly in touch with Jesus. Last time I read the Gospels, Jesus wasn't a registered Democrat or Republican. What I really want to know is why we can't get along? What's wrong with being a moderate? What's wrong with being able to see both sides of an issue? Political extremism frightens me. I don't see any good coming out of it. If we don't learn to be understanding with each other, we'll never make progress as a nation. We should be mature enough and smart enough to do that. Grow up and get along. Y'all are worse than 5 year olds on the playground. At least they can be friendly after throwing dirt at one another.

OK, that's enough for now. I really want something with cinnamon. But I don't have anything. Instead, I'll eat my Mint Oreo Fudge Cremes. So, any suggestions for my next topic?

1 comment:

  1. Currently reading "Jesus for President" by Shane Claiborne. I'll get back to you when I'm finished.

    ReplyDelete