Sunday, August 1, 2010

Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

BEWARE IT'S A LONG BLOG:
Well, well. Another week and another month have come and gone. July was pretty good. I had two 4th of July parties, went to the carnival and the parade, turned 35, went home, saw my sweet girl Caroline, started exercising and Weight Watchers (and even lost weight!!), finished reading one book and even started another. Church & work were good. I saw Inception which was amazing. August, you are on alert, you better bring it!

So where should I start? OK, with the weight. I've been on WW a couple of weeks now and I've almost hit my first goal. I am even exercising 4 days a week. I went back to my BodyFlow exercise class. This time, I didn't have to chug down a SlimFast before class so I didn't feel sick 15 minutes in. Let me tell you, all that balancing and stretching ain't easy! Especially when you have to support your own body weight to do it. And the part where we work on abs, ok, listen skinny teacher, don't ask a person with a stomach to lay on their stomach. It just gets in the way. Same thing when I bend. But I was tired and sore after so that had to be good (plus I'm losing the weight). I was even able to, thanks to the freaky yankee summer, walk on the trail 2 nights this week. It's usually pretty low key with people walking or biking. But one guy had the NERVE to be fit and shirtless and running. Really, you are gonna show off? That ain't brave. Dragging my arthritic overweight out of shape self on the trail in sweatpants and chugging along at a good pace for 40 minutes, THAT'S BRAVE!

I'm still in awe of the number of people who read this thing. Weird that people are entertained by it. I'm surprised I am. But it makes me feel connected to friends. Well, this and Facebook. I swear, I keep up with people more now than I used to. Well, this Facebook and text messaging. But you get the drift.
Anyone have the iPhone 4 yet? Would it be worth selling my iPhone 3GS on eBay (what's with all the weird capitalization on stuff? WooHoo! I'm glad I don't do that) and investing in the iPhone 4? Or just forget it and live with what I got?

What's next? Um, let me get things which tick me off out of the way first. As you read on Facebook, Domino's is now my enemy. That's what I get for splurging. I order ahead to have it delivered at 730pm and it gets there cold an hour later. I call and I get excuse after excuse. Not "I'm so sorry. My sincerest apologies. You are correct sir". I didn't "Go Holt" on Antoine the phone answerer or George the driver. I did kinda "Go Holt" on Domino's in one of my famous complaint emails though.

#2 complaint is political ads. People buy too many of them. You think you hate watching them? Trying placing them! Politicians in Tennessee should be glad I don't live there. I'd say more but I still want the FCC to love me. Speaking of politics, here is #3 complaint. When did we as a nation turn politics into a playground shouting match? People can't discuss politics without this current of hatred and vitriol aimed at the other side. Commentators, who should be there (in my opinion) to help clear things up for us, instead stir the pot to where we don't know what's up and what's down. Politicians, you are worse. As lawmakers, you are entrusted with doing the best for the country. Instead, you do just enough to strike fear in your power base of voters so you can get re-elected. That's not helpful, that's not progressive. For YEARS now, you can't even admit if the other side does something good. That's why I'm looking into the Coffee Party Movement.

OK, enough of that. But going on those themes, like I've repeated to y'all ad nauseum, I just read "The Unlikely Disciple" by Kevin Roose, about a guy who spent an entire semester at Liberty University. He's not an evangelical conservative Christian. He's a liberal Quaker from the Ivy League. But I was happy when I read it that he was able to have most of his stereotypes busted, and busted theirs. A few of mine were reinforced, mainly Christian guys use of nicknames and facial hair. Add in fist bumps, seriously where did that start and can we end it soon--at least the ones where it looks like your hand explodes after you bump because that annoys me, and you have the triumvirate. But if someone can come into that environment and focus on similarities instead of differences, why can't all of us? Why do we look for differences which separate us instead of similarities to unite us? Why are we still living with an us vs. them mentality. This man was able to conduct an interview with Jerry Falwell and bring out his humanity even though his family and friends were fearful for him. If you can't like people because they are people, you really need to re-read the New Testament. These themes are also echoed in my current reading adventure, Kathryn Stockett's "The Help" about maids and race relations in 1960s Mississippi.

Finally, on a funny note, with just a little lyrical tinkering, I think I can turn Whitesnake's 80s power balled "Here I Go Again" into a Christian song. I am singing at church next Sunday, but I don't think I'll break it out just yet haha. Look at the lyrics and see if you can see it too. Maybe soon, I'll have it rewritten for ya. But for now, "Mad Men" wooHoo!!

I don't know where I'm goin
but I sure know where I've been
hanging on the promises in songs of yesterday.
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time
but here I go again, here I go again.

Tho' I keep searching for an answer
I never seem to find what I'm looking for.
Oh Lord, I pray you give me strength to carry on
'cos I know what it means to walk along the lonely street of dreams.

Here I go again on my own
goin' down the only road I've ever known.
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone.
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time.

Just another heart in need of rescue
waiting on love's sweet charity
an' I'm gonna hold on for the rest of my days
'cos I know what it means to walk along the lonely street of dreams.

Here I go again on my own
goin' down the only road I've ever known.
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone.
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time
but here I go again, here I go again,
here I go again, here I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment