Sunday, January 13, 2013

Golden Globes Hour #1

It's time for the Golden Globe Awards presented by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association so even our awards are being outsourced. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are hosting and just got in a HUGE shot at James Cameron. LOVE IT!! They are killing it on the monologue.

The night starts off with best supporting actor in a movie. For some reason, making one good movie 11-12 years ago makes Kate Hudson qualified to consider herself a movie star. Hollywood grades on a curve it seems. But someone needs to investigate what's attacked her neck. I think a Golden Globe has eaten her. The Golden Globe goes to Christoph Waltz in Django Unchained. I have to make sure I have a good nap and an empty bladder before I see it because it's just so long and Leonardo DiCaprio tries to act like a big boy even though he still looks and sounds like he's 17.

Now supporting actress in TV and Dennis Quaid and his plastic surgeon and Kerry Washington present to Dame Maggie Smith for playing a crusty old British lady in Downton Abbey.

Game Change wins best TV Movie/MiniSeries. This was a very interesting movie about the McCain/Palin campaign. Wonderfully acted and written, but probably only to independents and democrats. Now for best actress in a TV movie/miniseries, the winner is Julianne Moore wearing something from the Dynasty collection. She was wonderful as Sarah Palin and it wasn't just an impersonation.

First Best Picture nominee presented is Les Miserables. Anne Hathway was great. Hugh Jackman was very good (but not on Bring Him Home) and Russell Crowe needed Sudafed, and they needed more talking, and they needed fewer close ups and ok I didn't love it. It was good, but except for Anne, it doesn't deserve to win anything. Yeah, I said it, what of it.

I love imagining that Hunger Games would be used to decide association presidents. And her lines were great. Now Rosario Dawson presents The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I really enjoyed this movie. It has a sweet tempo and presence to it. See it if you haven't. Eh, Damian Lewis for drama TV actor. I admire Homeland but don't love it and sometimes I don't like it. I wanted Hamm or Cranston to take it. And it won series too. At least The Newsroom didn't win.

Now for Argo being presented. They have the actual CIA agent who led the mission, Tony Mendez. Argo was a great movie and is a great story. Some of it is heightened for dramatic effect, but it's still dang good and the movie I'd vote for if I were a member of the Academy.

For music, Jennifer Lopez is presenting those awards. I don't know why, she can't sing. Life of Pi won score and my girl Adele won for best song for the AWESOME AMAZING WONDERFUL song. Plus she beat Taylor and Taylor looked TICKED, that was just a bonus.

That's enough for hour #1. Now time to check on the Australian Open and prepare for hour 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment