Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I Set Fire To the Rain

Hello happy citizens of Eddieland. I hope all is well with my loyal subject. You've been faithful with my Facebook posts, but thankfully those are pretty much daily. I teased you with my 4 part Grammy spectacular. I know y'all are wanting this for the Oscars as well, but I will be out of town watching the Oscars with friends old, new, and yet to be made. I hope I can kepp up, but I'm not sure, it won't be my top focus. I'm making food for our little gathering. I'm like a caterer, except I'm not getting paid. At least I don't think I am, but if I'm offered money, I'm not dumb enough to turn it down. But I can't wait though. Anytime I get to chat with my friend, I take it. Anytime I get to see my friend, I go for it. And driving to Atlanta is much closer and easier to get to than taking an early bus to NYC, spending the day there, and then taking an overnight bus back. The things I do just so people can see me. But friends are worth it, I guess :-)

But enough about others, let's talk more about me. I've been at my new job for a month and I still love it. That's a good thing. I moved back with only a good chance at one job, and that's not the job I took. This one came about pretty suddenly and after I'd put in my notice at my former job. The other job seemed more certain, or at least a good starting point. But I know that I made the right choice all around. I'm glad to be home (although moving to Birmingham wouldn't be bad, know any affordable apartments in decent areas), glad to be back at my churches (but finding a choir director job would be nice, know of any churches in the Bham area looking?), glad to be at this job (especially since the one I didn't take could be in jeopardy since the company is being bought out), glad to be around friends (if you haven't seen me yet, what the heck is your delay?). It was sad leaving my old company though. I made many good friends, plus I knew my way around my insurance (if any of you work for medical insurance companies, don't let me know. I'd harass you for hours about what an awful industry yours is.) I'm hoping my insurance is now all settled and proof of coverage means I can go to my arthritis doctor soon. I'll be happier once I can take my arthritis medicine again though. My hand is swollen more than Rush Limbaugh's ego and stomach. But since I'm sick again (probably from taking my arthritis medicine too soon after being sick in January. Patience is a virtue, but impatience is quicker.

I've even gotten back to the gym and back on Weight Watchers. I wonder if it'll be easy as last time. Sadly, I don't think it will be. My next goal is to get under 200 pounds. If I do, I need a good celebratory act. I just don't know what yet. I know it won't be running a marathon. I don't like to run unless I'm being chased.

OK, now, controversy time, somewhat. When did we stop worry about big problems in the world? Why are we letting pettier things rule us? We fight over football  and whether arguing over it caused a nutjob to kill trees. We listen to sports talk radio argue over arguments about spots. Finebaum & The Opening Drive have turned into the radio equivalent of PeopleOfWalMart.com Listening to those people makes me ashamed to be southern at times. And while it's nice that Bama & Auburn fans came together to say a nutjob was crazy (that's about as obvious as banding together to claim water is wet) and give money to trees, I thing about all the good that money could do for those in need in the state. The poor, the hungry, the elderly, the sick. Nothing against Auburn at all, but perspective. Same thing with the Sunday liquor sales initiative. I don't foresee this making an impact on my life at all to be honest. I don't think it was God's will that the measure be defeated. I know many good Christians who supported the measure and who opposed it. Where does that leave God in this? For some though, it seemed more a referendum against alcohol itself instead of just selling it on Sundays. You know what, the sun will still rise tomorrow. There will still be work to be done. There will still be a positive example of God's love which needs to be shown. And that is my final thought of this long blog (it's been a while, so sue me. Plus I figured it if was long and I put controversy at the end of the blog, most of you would have stopped reading by now. I guess I'll find out), there is more than one way to tell others about Christ. As I've heard before (and sometimes attributed to St. Francis) "Preach the gospel, use words if necessary". If others know we are Christians, they learn more about Christianity from how we live our lives & treat others, than by quoting the entire Bible at them. You can quote John 3:16 or the Roman Road to someone all day long, but if you don't show love, then what have you done? You haven't acted like Christ. I try to treat everyone with love & respect and treat them all equally. "Good Christians" shouldn't get treated more equal than others. I hope that I show the same love, respect, & courtesy to everyone, no matter what you believe or who you are. I'm glad I have friends of all makes & models (for lack of a better term).

OK, enough rambling for now? I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment