Monday, January 25, 2010

I Love a Rainy Night

As I grew older, I gained an appreciation, respect, and ultimately a love of thunderstorms. But my first love has always been the rain. It is a wonderful & fantastic treat for all your senses. I love the SOUND of the rain. The staccato rhythms of the droplets as they hit the roof or fall on the streets are a welcoming lullaby at night. If you get the chance to be a passenger in a car on a rainy night, it's the best sleep ever! I like the TASTE of the rain when it falls innocently on your lips. Hopefully you aren't getting the polluted rain, but I still like to think of rain as water falling pure from the heavens. I love the SIGHT of rain too. Daytime I actually like the overcast dreary look the rain gives off. Mostly it's because I imagine myself curled up in bed watching a good movie or reading a book. At night, though, the rain gives the landscape a slick look. I love the way the street lights reflect off the rain drenched streets like a mirror. The SMELL after a rainfall is also one of my favorites. I especially love it in the summer when it enhances the smell of the grass and plants and flowers, although I really don't like the smell of most flowers, after a rain, I can tolerate it. I love how rain seems to wash the streets clean, even if for just a few moments. And finally, I love the FEEL of the rain. When I was a little kid, going out and playing in the rain was so much fun for me. I loved going out with an umbrella, or sometimes not and playing around in it. I loved getting wet then coming in and getting in dry clothes. That made me feel so warm & safe & cozy. Too bad we can't do that these days. If we go out on our lunch break to play in the rain, we have to sit around wet for the next 4-5 hours. Not as fun. But it's still fun to get a tiny bit wet on a rainy day. It's not gonna hurt ya ;-)

So yes, I am up VERY late. We don't get enough rain up here, mainly snow yuck. But the wind is blowing too. That's as close as I'll get to a thunderstorm for quite some time. I just want to lie in my bed and take in all the sensory overload this will provide. Next time it rains, think of the good parts of it and enjoy it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment