Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Spreading Sunshine (yeah, not as cutesy as it sounds)

“One who smiles rather than rages is always the stronger” - Japanese proverb


Monday didn't suck! I don't know why I'm starting with that, but I just wanted to put that out in the universe. Who knew it could happen, but it did. I had a good day at work AND I found new shoes that fit and that I like and that weren't expensive. I don't ask for much. I enjoy the simple things in life. Oh, and ice cream. I REALLY enjoy ice cream. Hopefully I'm not addicted to it. At least I'm not addicted to what Tiger Woods is addicted to. I don't know why, but I find it funny there is a rehab facility for that, and funnier that it's in Hattiesburg, MS for some reason.

Sunday, I enjoyed the return of Jack Bauer on 24 and I watched the Golden Globes. I'm a big entertainment junkie. I work in TV, I go to the movies most every week, I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly for the love of all. Plus I have seen or soon will see most all of the big contenders. I'm really wanting to see "The Hurt Locker" but it has such a long wait on Netflix, I may have to see it On Demand. Yeah, I'm a movie nerd, and you can combine that with my other nerdy tendencies (just finished a book by my favorite author and savored it), I don't care.

But the theme of my life recently has been "spreading sunshine". Yes, that sounds so cloyingly sweet and overbearing. Normally, I'm sure it is. But let me clarify, I'm not a perky person. I hope I'm not at least. Perky works for some, but not for me. But in my job, I have to be positive and reassuring and, most of all, encouraging. THAT is something I'm apparently good at. And you know what, I like that. I'm sure I'm better at encouraging others than I am at encouraging myself. I think that's because I'm a fixer. If I see someone having problems or feeling down or unsure, I want to jump in and fix that. That's why I was in North Carolina last week, fixing not only the situation, but trying to fix their belief that things can work. If we go in with a defeated attitude, we aren't going to succeed.

Plus you never know where you get to spread sunshine. I've spread it to a department at work that has made things tough for us the past couple of weeks, and gave them an encouraging word. People appreciate that. Today at Wendy's it was something as simple as having my order ready and giving it clearly to the cashier. WOW, seriously? People still can't go to a fast food restaurant and order without becoming as confused as Paris Hilton at a calculus test? The options aren't that vast America. At most places you have the choice of burger, chicken, or sald. Or with me, burger or chicken (see, I've simplified things by ignoring whatever that salad nonsense is). Yet you stand there mouth agape and glassy eyed. You are the type to ask if the hotel you are staying at for a conference will provide soap (don't laugh, that happened. No, I'm not kidding).

Also, smile at people. That is one thing that infuriates me about the north (besides the winter. Ah, to live in Florida would be nice. Oh to dream), people won't smile at you. I don't care, I smile at them anyway. So spread sunshine wherever you go. As they always say, You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. But the truly genius among us know you catch the most flies with manure. Spread it all around! And be nice to everyone & respect everyone, no matter how different they are from ya :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment